Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Best Country in the World

Within the last two weeks, not one, not two, not three, but maybe 6 or 7 customers have told me "this is the best country in the world" when talking about the Dominican Republic.


Some reasons why I usually say crazy person in my head:

-I am told that it isn't safe to walk a couple of blocks away.


-There are no traffic laws and drive-through liquor bars exist so that you may literally drink & drive.


-A few days ago there was no running water at work due to Hurricane Irene which never even arrived.


-The inequality between social classes is amazing, as life in the capital is similar to the cost of living in the US, while many salaries are only about $150/month.


Ok yes, the people are friendly.  Ok yes, the country is beautiful.  Ok yes, the fruit is delicious.  But as for me, I'm a tough crowd.  To be perfectly honest, its going to take some more winning over than the sunshine and pristine beaches.

Source
All the strangers I meet tell me that I'll soon understand what they mean about their love for the DR; they tell me that I will grow to love this country.


But what defines a great country?  
If its happy people, then the DR certainly wins in my book. 

1 comment: