Thursday, March 15, 2012

Barcelona Bubbly

Source
Until last night, there had been a bottle of cava in our refrigerator for months.  And not just any old pink sparkling wine, but cava rosado from La Xampañeria - our favorite drink from Barcelona.  I had wanted to break it open on a special occasion, but I'd been getting antsy over this past month and sometimes a bland Wednesday night just needs a pick me up [or some alcohol].  

And so we popped it open at approximately 8 pm.  Before our first sip, I told A to make a toast instead of a simple glass clunking Cheers, because this was a special beverage; a drink that brought us so many fun memories.  In response to my tacky request, he says, "Umm..  To our moments.." I say, "Which moments?" He says, "All of our moments.." {Note to self: Never ask boyfriend to make a toast again, teeheehee.} 

{Summer 2010}
Anyway, the combination of the pink fizzy alcohol and Catalan Radio Flaixbach [c/o TuneIn Radio] transported my mind back to our carefree summer days, when boyfriend and I would go for a greasy lunch sandwich and a bottle (well, usually two) of this delicious bubbly.  

I was zoned out and content, when all of a sudden Radio Flaixbach comes to a halt and I hear, "Se fue la luz!" {a very common phrase heard in the DR; in other words, the electricity went out} and I realized I was far, far away; I was in the Dominican Republic.  Bahhh.  


Sadly the cava in our fridge is now gone.  But it got me thinking: I always enjoyed the Xampañeria while living nearby, but did I ever think that the thought of tasting it again would make me this giddy nearly a year down the road?  Of course not!  So my motto is go for it, indulge in your favorite local food or drink, one day it might not be there anymore! 

"Appreciate the little things, for one day you might look back and realize they were big things." - Unknown 

I wonder if I'll ever look back on the DR and think, "Wow, I could really go for a passionfruit margarita right about now.."  Its funny how memories work out. 

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could drink coconout water right out of a coconut like you do amost every single day!!! That's amazing, you should enjoy as much as you can, I'm sure you'll miss it once you leave the DR!!!

    ReplyDelete