Friday, August 17, 2012

Creating a Brighter Living Space + Chevron

Its been a looong blogging break!  I've been busy pouring 2,048,594% of my energy into apartment remodeling, price analyzing, and purchasing!  And its been quite the challenge to convert our long and narrow living room/dining room/kitchen into a more open and brighter space..




Many said that our dark wood was the "modern" look, but I hated it!  Since when is a dark closed space {the kitchen} modern?!  So we painted all of the wood in our apartment.  All of the doors are now a matte black, and the kitchen is completely white, giving it a cleaner and roomier look.




Excuse the mess and the horrible lighting!

I once read that when a room is long, you should create a focal point and draw attention to one of the side walls as opposed to the long end walls of the room (this would make sense, duh).  I've been loving all the chevron on Pinterest these days, so I thought it would be the perfect way to add brightness to the dining area, especially since our table and walls were white!



I followed these DIY instructions and definitely overcomplicated the measurements, but in the end it all worked out.  I plan on putting tall flowers in the center of the table, but I still cant decide whether to hang anything on the chevron wall or leave it blank?!  Thoughts?  

How do you feel about chevron?  
I hope its not too "trendy" so that we don't have to repaint in 6 months!

2 comments:

  1. I love what you did with the apartment! Such a big change with the door colors! I love it! and regarding the chevron I think that as long as you like it, who cares if it is too trendy or not the trend anymore? Leave it there until you feel like changing it.

    You could put a squared mirror on the wall, it will make the room wider where the flowers that you want to put on the table will be reflecting on the mirror. That looks nice on my head :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. This apartment is amazing, incredible, so big, so much light, opened spaces.
    The dream home, really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete