Thursday, September 20, 2012

Pinterest Home Inspiration for the NCG: Trays

Welcome to my second post about how to make things found on Pinterest when you're a non-crafty girl like me!  See my first post here.


Clearly I'm bad at making DIY posts because I never take any "before" or "during" pictures!  But the directions below are very easy to follow, too easy to follow..

Inspiration photo:

Source
1. Buy a wooden tray (around $3).

2.  Paint it.  I first did a coat of white (wall) paint to even out the metallic color I was about to paint next.  I then used metallic silver paint from the craft store and did 3 coats.  

3.  Using an exacto knife (or a fake, cheap version like mine), cut a piece of scrapbook paper to fit the inside of the tray.  I literally placed mine inside the tray and then cut it while inside - no precise measurements really needed here.


4.  Glue paper to tray with a layer of Mod Podge.  Seal the top of the paper with about 3 layers of Mod Podge.  I used the glossy version and applied it all over the tray to give it a shinier look.  

Ta - daaa!



I'd love to make a much larger tray to put in the laundry room to hold things like detergent, my mini iron, and my new favorite discovery: Clorox Bleach Pens (they work wonderfully!).

Do you have trays at home?  What do you use them for? 

1 comment:

  1. I have to say I only have two plastic trays to eat breakfast in bed :), these are really cute, love the big grey dots.

    ReplyDelete