Thursday, July 4, 2013

Expat Diaries: Adjusting in Santorini

My brother & I with our grandparents
When I was little, my parents used to ship me off here {Santorini} for the summer, lucky parents.  But back then I was too young to really acknowledge and appreciate the differences between Santorini world and my real life US suburbia world (or I was old enough and just have a really bad memory).

Friends & I, Summer 2010
Since then, I've visited the island nearly every year, but this is the first time that I'm here for an extended period of time.  Now that we've been here for a little over a month I thought it would be fun to make a list of some of the things that we're getting used to.. 

*Its acceptable to take a siesta every flippin' day.

Unrelated photo - Santorini view!
*Baklava tastes even better in the motherland. 

*Water is gold and you should probably turn off the water mid shower while you're soaping up!


*No matter how much you eat, your yiayia will ask if you want more.. 

*Its normal for your waiter to place the bill on your table the same moment they bring your drinks or meal.
Greek "frappe", often served with a scoop of ice cream inside!
*Living without internet on your phone 24/7 can take some time getting used to, especially if you're addicted to instagram (me) or feedly (him)

*Eventually it won't be instinct to throw toilet paper into the toilet {here everything goes in the garbage can!}.  When we leave here this fall, I think I might accidentally keep doing it! #gross

Our island transportation: ATV!
*Movie theaters have intermissions - which is great for re-stocking on popcorn, but horrible for mid-movie suspense moments and late nights.  

*Excellent wine can be purchased in plastic 1.5 liter bottles for only $3.50 at the supermarket!


*In many places you have to watch where you step; especially if the area smells of donkeys..

Have you experienced any of these same things in your expat countries?
What have been some of your most unusual adjustments?!

7 comments:

  1. Great pictures!

    I'm still getting used to the toilet paper thing here. I've decided to buy some nappy bags to make the whole thing feel a bit nicer. Ick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful pictures and great memories and props to your parents for giving you this experience.

    Bonnie Rose | A Compass Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, my parents would just ship me off to the front yard during the summers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. bahaha we have to throw our waste in the garbage can as eel! I do it in public but i still can't bring myself to do it at home! thanks so much for linking up with us this month!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The whole throwing TP in the garbage is something I just couldn't get used to while I travelled! It just seems so wrong! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky you! Sounds like your childhood was spent right! :-) And movie theaters with intermissions? What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always wanted to go to Santorini! It looks so beautiful :)
    And siestas are the norm in the south of France too!

    ReplyDelete